For a decade, Asheville’s Mardi Gras Parade rolled through downtown, bringing fun and frivolity to the dreary winter season. From 2012-2017, the route wound down Wall Street to Haywood Street and back up around Page Avenue. This year, it moves to the South Slope and will feature a street party along a portion of Coxe Avenue. This year’s parade is set for 3:05 to 5 p.m. Feb. 11. That’s Sunday, folks.
For revelers who like to “laissez les bons temps rouler” (let the good times roll), here is need-to-know information to make attending this Asheville tradition fun and hassle-free, including where to NOT park your car, so you won’t get towed.
Streets to view the parade: Coxe, Banks and Buxton avenues. The parade steps off at 3:05 p.m. Feb. 11 on Coxe Avenue just past the Hilliard Avenue intersection. See map, posted below, for the parade route.
Full street closures: Coxe Avenue between Hilliard and Millard avenues, as well as Banks and Buxton avenues from noon to 6 p.m. Sunday, Feb.11.
No on-street parking: Towing will be enforced, so please move all vehicles well in advance. No street parking will be allowed from noon to 6 p.m. Sunday on these streets: Coxe Avenue between Hilliard and Millard avenues, plus no parking on both sides of Millard as it will become a fire lane, Banks and Buxton avenues, and as otherwise signed. Please be aware of signage posted. We don’t want anyone to get towed!
No private parking lot access on the parade route: Don’t get blocked in. No moving vehicles will be allowed in or out (emergency vehicles only) once streets are closed, from noon to 6 p.m. Sunday.
So where should you park or how should you get there?
We suggest taking an ART bus to Asheville’s Mardi Gras Parade! The ART Station at 49 Coxe Avenue is a quick two-block walk to the parade route beginning. Check RideTheART.com for routes/times and be aware that while Sunday service is offered on all routes, it ends earlier in the day.
For those who like active transportation, ride your bike to the parade.
Vehicle parking options:
While there is no charge for City metered off-street parking on Sundays, and there are multiple privately owned pay-to-park lots throughout downtown, the following parking garages are within walking distance to the parade route:
- Biltmore Avenue Garage, at the Aloft Hotel, entrance at 60 S. Lexington Ave. (5-minute walk / .3 miles)
- Pack Square Parking Garage at 26 Biltmore Ave.(10-minute walk / .5 miles)
- Buncombe County Parking Deck at 164 College St. (13-minute walk / .7 miles)
Be aware of rolling closures too
Expect police-assisted temporary closures at these locations:
- Motorists should avoid Hilliard Avenue between Asheland and Coxe avenues between 3 and 4 p.m. as parade entrants move from Federal Alley to the official parade starting point on Coxe Avenue.
- As early as 3:30 p.m. Asheville Police will begin holding traffic on Church Street and South Lexington between Banks and Southside, allowing the parade to make the turn around Greenman Brewing.
Before/after parade parties: Visit ashevillemardigras.org/the-2018-parade/parade-parties
Parade route 2018