The International Parking Institute, the largest parking organization in the world with members in over 45 countries, has designated the City of Asheville’s Parking Services Division as an Accredited Parking Organization.
This recognition is the result of a yearlong effort by City staff to prepare the submission. The awards process included evaluation of over 150 key components and 25 mandatory requirements of City or parking operations and an on-site review by an International Parking Institute trained evaluator. City staff were on hand to receive the designation at the International Parking Institute’s recent annual conference and exposition in New Orleans.
Areas of evaluation for the Accredited Parking Organization include:
- structure of City government from City Charter, enabling legislation, thru City ordinances establishing the Parking Services Division;
- financial accountability and reporting;
- budget projections and planning;
- contracting policies and procedures, and contracted partners with Parking, e.g. security, citation management, etc.;
- information technology policies, procedures, and data security;
- personnel policies;
- safety policies;
- Parking Services Division’s policies, procedures, metrics, budget, staffing, etc.;
- Parking Services Division’s short, medium, and long term goals, and;
- Parking Services Division’s short, medium, and long term maintenance plans for the garages.
The Accredited Parking Organization designation is a great honor and privilege for the City of Asheville. It signifies that the City of Asheville’s Parking Services Division meets or exceeds industry best practices in numerous categories. While issued to the Parking Services Division, the designation is a testament to the professionalism of the whole City staff.