Looking for a solution-based conversation about how to meet Asheville and Buncombe County’s housing needs? Join us for the Asheville-Buncombe Housing Summit, 2-5 p.m. Nov. 16, US Cellular Center Banquet Hall.
Hosted by Asheville City Council, the summit will feature two moderated discussions looking at challenges and opportunities and how public and the private sector can work together to provide affordable housing for our communities. A networking reception will follow the panel discussions.
Laura Clark, Executive Director of Renaissance West Community Initiatives in Charlotte, will be the featured keynote speaker. This organization is focused on providing a holistic approach to affordable, mixed-income housing by incorporating wellness elements as well as job training, educational opportunities, access to transportation and recreation.
According to the Renaissance West Community Initiative website: “Our model of mixed-income housing offers the environments and amenities to help residents thrive by elevating the standard of living for the lowest income residents while providing affordable housing opportunities for residents in higher income brackets.”
Challenges in Affordable Housing Development, moderated by Sam Powers, Director of Community & Economic Development, City of Asheville. Panelists will include:
- Patrick Bowen, President, Bowen National Research
- Pat Carver, Area Executive, First Citizen’s Bank
- Jon Creighton, Assistant County Manager, Buncombe County
- Robin Merrell, Managing Attorney, Pisgah Legal Services
- Robin Raines, Vice President, Rowhouse Architects
- Paul Szurek, Chief Financial Officer, Biltmore Farms
Opportunities in Affordable Housing Development, moderated by Jack Cecil, President of Biltmore Farms. Panelists will include:
- Jeanne Bonds, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond
- Mike Butrum, Government Affairs Director, Land Of The Sky Association of Realtors
- Scott Dedman, President, Mountain Housing Opportunities
- Chip Kassinger, President, Kassinger Development Group
- Todd Okolichany, Director, Planning & Urban Design, City of Asheville
Be part of the conversation
The more voices at the table the better. Please RSVP by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.